you’re really not going to believe this…I am unraveling a sweater and going to reknit the yarn! Did you hear me? MAO is unraveling…yes, it’s the truth! Why, you ask? Well, it’s not because there is a shortage of yarn at my house, trust me – sure there are the odd Lego starship and princess castle pieces on the yarn shelves, but really, I still have plenty of good, quality yarns. And, I just finished up my KnS project for #187, which is a zippered jacket and wrote an article on zipper installations in knits and it got me wanting to do another zippered project for me – I don’t get to keep the KnS one. ;-(
Here’s the thing. I’ve been wearing my casual hoodies to
death lately and my totally favourite one of all time, ‘Hoods Up’ (photo of KJ wearing) from No 22, Autumn ’02 – that’s 11 years ago
and I have really worn that thing – is still okay, made with beautiful red Honiburd
Cotton 4 ply, but getting on the shabby side. It has some totally cool
techniques, with the seaming on the outside which gives nice detail on the
shoulder and top of sleeve and the zipper method is really neat – you actually
sew the zipper on a band with the sewing machine and then attach the band to
the garment on the knitting machine which makes the machine sewing invisible –
I didn’t do that for the KnS one because it doesn’t work well for the heavier
Then, I have this other sweater in one of my all-time
favourite yarns, Yeoman’s Indigo Denim cotton 4 ply in the dark wash – I had
remade the man’s vee neck, ‘Faded Favour’ from No 39 ( Winter ’06), rashly thinking
I needed one of those for myself (when the yarn was still available and I had a
couple of extra cones), but it was a pullover and I had briefly forgotten how
very seldom I wear a pullover. I did wear it a few times initially and washed
it a couple of times, but it has been languishing in my closet for some time. Boy,
I really am going on and on – it’s like I haven’t talked to you in weeks!
Now, unraveling it is one thing - I’m secretly hoping for
a distressed look – the original was tuck stitch which simulates a seed stitch,
using the knit side as right side and you can see a bit of fading on the top
outside part of the stitch. I’m going to knit the new ‘Hood’s Up’ in
stockinette, but I can’t really cheat like I have been doing lately on my
swatches – sure, I’ve used this same yarn in stockinette – Nate and I had
matching ‘In Da Hood’ hoodies back in No 37 and 38, but those swatches were
knit in the raw cotton, knit slightly looser to allow for the inevitable shrinkage,
washed and then gauged (then the garment is too big when finished, but works
out after the laundering to do the shrink – hope you’re getting all that!).
This yarn is already preshrunk, so I should make a new swatch but I won’t have
to worry about laundering it ahead of measuring. Yeah, you caught that
‘should’! Now I’m really cheating – when I unraveled the sleeve, I left the hem
and rehung that. Now, based on my expertise, gathered over years of knitting ,
instead of knitting at T8 which is my usual stitch size for this yarn, I’m
dialing down two dots and using T7.
for this which I figure will compensate for the pre-shrunk factor, and again
using my vast experience, I figure I can plug 30 sts and 42 rows in as a
semi-close gauge. Now, doing my little
‘cheating at swatches’ thing from back in (see April 2008) where I just hang markers on the first 60 rows
for a swatch check-up, I get going on the sleeve. After I get so far, I can
measure the pretend swatch and re-adjust if necessary!
Heh, heh, haven’t lost my touch!