Sunday, March 16, 2014

end of the rainbow...

It turned out awesome and she loves it! It is, of course, sideways knit – started with a regular drop shoulder sleeve. Took that off on waste yarn, half and half. Hung one half at one end of the machine and knit the back. Took that off on waste in two sections, for half of the other sleeve and then the side seam. Took the other half of the first sleeve, hung it at the opposite end of the machine and knit the front, ditto with waste yarn. Then hung the two parts for the last sleeve and knit it down. I did make it a little more complicated – I love that A-line shape on sideways knits so I made a random 2-row gore on almost every stripe on the lower half of the back and the front. So it was all one piece by the time it came off the machine, just had to seam the shoulders, the underarm and join the sides. Then, I edged it, neckline, cuff and hem, all with a small, stockinette roll in a denim-coloured Panama. The weaving-in of the tails of yarns, all you need  to do to those is check that they are all snug – you may have to pull a few to straighten and then just trim off the excess – presto, done!


She told me that I should re-arrange my yarn shelves and group all the colours together, like a rainbow. I told her there were too many non-rainbow shades…

2 comments:

Deirdre said...

Very cute both the garment and Rhianna

Anonymous said...

I love the rainbow sweater for the colors and the sideways knit! Very nice.