Wednesday, February 20, 2019

peanut butter...

Did I upset the machine knitting gods? Is there a black hole in my knitting room? Was it because I flaunted the no-swatching bit? Why, why, why? Don’t mean to sound so disjointed, here’s the back story!
Got back to my E Fisher project, made the dart and, happily, blissfully, completed the back, feeling like I was setting the mk-ing world on fire. Sadly, when I took the piece off, it was riddled with mis-patterning and random, plain rows. What the hay? Trying to convince myself that it was maybe a static issue, I tried everything. Switched out the N1 and point cams, the curl cord, cleaned and oiled, even put in a new sponge bar. Turned everything off, left it to cool for a hour or so, came back, tried it all again. Ripped out row 13 so many times, sure I’d worn out the yarn! Nothing worked. Went and pouted for a bit, came back and tried it all again. Started over at least 4 times and I’d get maybe 50 rows done fine and then it would start dropping the signal and I would get a plain row instead of the tuck. Rip it out, re-program and same thing over and over, like a Groundhog Day nightmare! Got tired of ripping out the row so took it all off on the garter bar. Concluded that my electronics were compromised but wasn’t sure if it was the carriage or the machine bed/panel.
I had a brainwave and got out my lace carriage to see if it would work and yes, it did! switched over to the knit carriage and the tuck pattern and everything worked fine. I even did a sample dart and it knit perfectly. Holding onto the thought that it was just mk-gremlins at work, I took the evening to think good thoughts, planning to get a new start in the morning.
Did a bit of air knitting (take the arm off so you can see the needles coming out and in) and things were looking good, the pattern was advancing properly, so I rehung the piece and started on the dart. Rats! same thing, no patterning!
Things went from bad to worse. I couldn’t get it to even knit one row correctly. Thought if I could hook up DesignaKnit and get it to work that would sort out which was the problem, the carriage or the knitting bed. You might remember last July, [https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2018/07/drama-queen.html] my DAK laptop quit and I was left with a long cord that would reach my old desktop, which doesn’t have a USB port – too old, like everything else in this room! I had a little adaptor thingy plugged into a port in the back that added 4 USB ports. I made the mistake of unplugging this thing just to look and now it does not work.
I remembered another old laptop, dug it out and thought I could use it with DAK7. Got it all hooked up, downloaded my stitch pattern, knit  two rows and the blessed computer blue-screened on me and started this awful clanking noise. Unplugged and closed up, it was still annoyingly boinking away. The noise continued – I couldn’t shut it off. To save my sanity, stuffed it back in the bag and took it down two flights to the basement and left it chattering away.
I tried installing DAK7 on the Windows 7 laptop and it’s not compatible – I’m sure I did this before, but I have a short memory for bad things. Tried DAK8 with the cable and it wouldn’t find the SL4. I even sent an email to Ms. Help at Knitcraft, explaining the situation and what could be done? The answer, 8 hours later was, ‘likely bad cable’. Yeah, heard that before!
Seeking solace, I went for a spoonful of peanut butter (Jif extra crunchy – it’s a little early for wine!). I keep it in the basement pantry for a couple of reasons. I hope the inaccessibility will prevent me from consuming the whole jar. I have a rule that I can only take a teaspoonful and must go back up to eat it. I hope that, as sometimes happens, by the time I get downstairs, I will have forgotten why I went there and, if that doesn’t work, at least I feel justified in that I had a couple of up and downs to counter-balance the calories. Anyway, that freakin’ computer was still faintly rattling away!
To be continued…

1 comment:

Knittedbrows said...

How annoying !!! Tuck on the Knitmaster/Silver Reeds is my nemesis. I'm always having problems, i then end up using my Brother machine. Apart from that I love my Knitmaster 580.