Thursday, May 27, 2021

you could call me...

obsessive! maybe compulsive! or even impulsive! I do tend to get stuck on something and I’m going to repeat it to death! No biggie, I think of it as keeping busy and it’s nice to be productive! Yeah, I’m making another lace, button-front hoodie. So!

Just to change it up a bit, I swatched a different lace pattern, this one from Becca https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2018/11/earth-to-mao.htmlhttps://knitwords.blogspot.com/2019/01/unfinished-business.html 

thinking I had 2 cones of white Brittany. Turns out one was 'arctic', the other was 'optic' and there was a third one that was just 'white' - they were Bramwell Montana (says something about how old they really are), basically the same thing as Yeoman’s Brittany, the 2-ply soft cotton. I only noticed the colour difference after getting the swatch out of the dryer. What to do? You can’t plate with the lace carriage. Continue and over-dye it, may be an option. Adding in a second colour without stripes? Like, using the second colour just for the bands/borders so it looks like you planned it instead of just running out of yarn… like that Rich Raglan that was part of Serial Stuff 2 https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2013/11/who-needs-sudoku.html

Looking further, I found 2 part-cones of Brittany in 'clover', a dark blush/gray-ish pink shade, about 250g left on each. Not really my colour but truly, I was thinking of making this one for sister Janet who is quite a bit shorter than me. The finished weight of Holey Moley is 468g, so it could be kind of pushing it. Back-up plan needed! After more searching, partial cones of 'parchment', an off-white, looked like it would ‘go’ with the clover and, yes, impulsively, I dove into this new project! Without thinking it through, (and shortening my schematic to suit my much shorter sister!) I went ahead, so excited to see how using the parchment for the hems and bands would change the overall look and solve the yarn shortage issue.


To be honest, by the time I was finished the Back, I was in love with this colour and thought, oh well, Janet will never know, and it’s be too long for her anyway!;))

No comments: