Friday, July 2, 2021

whoops...

The ‘antique gold’ wool that my sister chose - had a full cone, 500g plus a very small partial, total of 578g, (less 60g for the two cones) so I figured I’d have plenty of yarn. The charcoal lace wool hoodie
https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2021/04/deja-vu.html that I made for myself back in April weighed 530g, finished, and since Janet’s will be a little smaller and a bit shorter, I thought I was golden. 
Decided on using the Tumbleweed https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2010/05/knitting-machine-lsd.html stitch pattern and hems (published in Knitwords #53) – I think I forgot to tell you that I over-dyed it to match my olive green Day Dress, but oh well – it used to be beige and is now a pretty green! 
So, back to the present! I was carefully measuring and weighing and recording my progress with each piece. Then, all that went out the window as I made the hems to each piece as it was finished. 
Now, instead of taking my own advice and having a Plan B, it was done, right down to the final two side/underarm seams and there is only about 2 metres left – not enough for the seaming! I could take the smart, safe way out and do the seams in the old way but I’ve become obsessed with that Franky seaming method,  https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2021/03/she-likes-it.html    even to experimenting with increase/decrease methods. In the past, I’ve always said that I like to /have two stockinette stitches at the edge, one to be taken in the seam and with the Franky method, I’m hanging only half of the outside edge stitch for the seam so two plain stitches at each side make the seam too wide, especially with a very holey lace pattern like the me-cozy diamonds. 

So, on this one, I have done a simple increase on the edge stitch, picking up the bar/heel stitch of the edge and putting it on a new needle. Anyway, head like a rock! I had intended to show how minimal these seams are, so I still wanted to use the Franky method. Ha! I found a ‘close’ match of ‘cinnamon’ in the same wool and figured I would try it out, if it didn’t work, I could still resort to the old way where the seam is on the inside and the colour isn’t so important. Darn, picking up that edge stitch was so hard, I had to keep going. If Janet notices, I’ll tell her it’s a new design feature, like the coloured piping up the leg of those old jogging pants! :) 

Final weight, 516g…so, back to that hole theory – more holes, less yarn, maybe that’s true…more research required…

2 comments:

Tom Machine Knitting Guy said...

More gorgeous work from the master herself!

Suffescom said...

nyc post