Friday, September 24, 2021

the holy grail...

In my ongoing quest to produce the perfect button-front lace hoodie with pouch pockets, I began with another long swatch of various patterns. This time, I’m using Bonita (from Knitcraft, a 100% mercerized cabled cotton, 500g cone, a good solid 4 ply weight, great stitch definition, usually knit at T8 with a stockinette gauge of 28 sts and 40 rows/4 inches) an old all-time favourite cotton. It didn’t have much in the MAO-fav colour range but I did use it over and over. Great yardage, pretty cheap price and very good wearability certainly out weighted the lack of colour options and, of course, you know, it is no longer available. But I do have a stash. 

My plan is to use the light blue, again not my favourite - it has a rather dull tone that almost looks a little dirty (in my mind anyway) but I could over-dye it a little darker if I’m really not fond of the finished product or, give it away! 

The last time I used Bonita was in Tumbleweed, from #53 - it was lace carriage at T6, gauge of 26 sets and 44 rows, washed and dried. The final garment has a fairly firm fabric, maybe because of the larger areas of plain stitches. I wanted a little more drape and softness this time, so am using T7.

In going though my existing stitch patterns, I found this one, already programmed out. 60 rows by 60 sts! I’ve never used it before - I did swatch it like a thousand years ago and probably thought it looked like curtains or something, but life changes and all that and I can look at it with a new eye, maybe. Anyway, whatever the reason, I swatched it here. Hummm, after the wash and dry, the mesh part did look very interesting, almost like it scrunched up and has a neat texture. I’ll give it a shot!


Made the sleeves first. Because it’s such a large stitch pattern I wasn’t sure which I liked better, the large flower going up the centre or offset, with the smaller motif centred. It’s a matter of setting the first needle position either at 0 or half way, 30 (right or left, doesn’t make any difference). I figured the sleeves don’t have to match anyway. I actually preferred the small flower centred but then promptly forgot about it when knitting the body, so ended up with the large motif going up the front. 

 No big deal, I can always make it again in another colour and change it! Maybe find someone else who might 
like that dusty rose…

No comments: