Thursday, March 26, 2020

lost your knitting mojo?

I’m hearing that a lot – what to do? Some suggestions:
1.  Pack it all up, sell off stashes and find a new hobby.
2. Not quite ready to give up? Think about your reasons to knit. To use up stash, keep busy, produce something pretty and useful and/or feel the sense of achievement and satisfaction! Pick one or more!
3. Finish off old or forgotten projects - there's gotta be something!
4. Remake a pattern you are familiar with.
5. Try out an easy, small project to get your confidence back.
With thoughts of the last point in mind, I’m offering a free pattern of my ‘sleeveless shell’ from 2012. Here’s the link to the PDF of that pattern: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I_hfE-nw23Zb6kgaeb_0oFIaKGACu80g/view?usp=sharing
It is a plain shell with simple stockinette bands that could be made on any single/flat bed standard gauge machine, using Wool Crepe Deluxe or any suitable dress weight yarn to get gauge (try Bramwell Sable Crepe, Tamm Diamante, Silk City Mini Dina, Marbella, etc.). My plan is to knit a few for myself, changing the necklines, adding shaping through the body instead of the A-line and I’ll tell you what I did and how to do it, sort of like a ‘knitalong’ but just me and you – you can email me with any questions knitwords@shaw.ca and I’ll try to answer as quickly as possible or when I get back from my walk, whichever comes first! http://knitwords.blogspot.com/2020/03/schemeing-vees.html
The point of this shell is that it’s worn under a cardigan, jacket or whatever, never alone so no one will know but you that it’s a Two-Faced Tank!

two-faced tank
For starters, line up your yarn – here’s my WCD leftovers.  I need 255g/9 oz. for the shell in the 2nd size. If making two different colours, you’ll need 125g of each colour. Weight all the cones and then decide. I do have almost 400g of the tan so I could save that for a bigger project. All the other colours range from 40g up to 230g – don’t forget to take that 25-30g cone out of the totals - that could be the make or break difference! Lots of options here – a few stripes on one side changes it up, no need to duplicate for the second side.

I’m also posting my new schematic here – you can print out both and think about any changes you might like. Talk soon!
P.S. changed out to flared jeans for my walk and it worked perfectly! no need to pursue gaiters at this time!
Stay safe!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I haven't lost my knitting mojo. I just have a husband who doesn't like me knitting and says some really nasty things sometimes.