Tuesday, September 5, 2023

still kickin'...

Hey, I’m back! It’s cooled off. Fall is my favourite time of year! Sweater weather is much more fun to me and I can get back to knitting! I’m planning a trip out to Vancouver to visit with favourite baby sister, Marnie, and I like to be bearing gifts! I’m taking my own advice and re-knitting ‘Kickin’ Around’.

A few years back, I was planning a pullover for manfriend for Christmas – he actually requested it based on a sweater he saw in a store window – you can read the long version going back to October, 2019 - http://knitwords.blogspot.com/2019/10/male-order.html . See where I sort of left it hanging and then, finally finishing it up for a late Christmas present. http://knitwords.blogspot.com/2019/11/avoidance.html

Anyway, the long and short of it was that I ordered some yarn just because it was tweedy and he liked the colour sample on the internet. When I received it, realized it was a big mistake – yarn was way too fancy for manfriend so had put it away and re-ordered. I did swatch it and lucky for me, blogged about it there so when I came across the swatch the other day, I could read exactly what I did! I’m looking for shortcuts here! And Sis won’t know the difference!

The yarn is Providence from Berroco, 65% merino wool, 20% baby alpaca, 15% silk – it really is a lovely yarn and I’d like it for myself except the dark teal is not for me but it’s a good Marnie colour.

Starting with a sleeve, with good intentions, I threw in a stitch pattern – going with ‘butterfly’ because it was a combo of tuck and eyelets, seemed like it would be fairly quick to do and shows up on the purl side which I always like on a tweed fabric. Got 40 rows done, decided it was too difficult to see for making the eyelets on top of the tucked stitch - all that effort was not going to show up in the dark colour.  Dropped it off the machine, rewound the yarn and decided we could be twins – using the same windowpane as in the original! – I’m leaving in 15 days, give me a break!

4 comments:

raine51 said...

Hi, Love your blog, bought your book (great book), and would like to find out if there is any way to get back issues of your magazine. Also, is that an LK150 in the photos? thanks, bye, raine51

Mary Anne Oger said...

thanks! email me with your questions, please

Rita in Raleigh said...

Thanks for the inspiration. I also knit under a time pressure. I am trying to knit something for the State Fair. I have raised the bar because I have encouraged knitters from our local machine knitting group to enter, and they are great knitters. I can't slack off now. In the past I have gotten first, second or third place in various categories. But last year I did not even place in the adult garment category...all my fault as I convinced other better knitters to enter. I did well in the blanket category, however. Nothin like the pressure of a timely finish to make us try our hardest!

Anonymous said...

So true - When I have a project planned and think it will be easy - peasy- Never fail! I end up in a mess. I think machine knitting takes as much patience as a class room full of 7-8 year olds which I taught for over thirty years