Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Parallels...

Knit’nStyle #183 is out – I haven’t received my copy yet so I’m not sure how my garment faired in the photo shoot – I’ve only seen the snippet on their website. I shipped it off to them in late July, but I did get to re-make it in my size, to check the pattern, and because I liked it so much and I had enough of the same yarn which is luscious, BTW (Rowan felted tweed aran DK). We photo-ed  when I did my mini-shoot for the Fall Pattern of the Month.


The garment is A-line shaped. The fronts are sideways knit from centre front to side and the A-line is accomplished with shortrowing. The back is just a rectangle, knit from top to bottom so the ribbed shawl collar matches with the front edges. It is a bit of a different shape and I thought it was fun to make – looks like lots going on because it is made on the LK150 (as are all my KnS designs) so all the garter ridges, the cabling, and the ribs are all hand transferred. The weather here finally turned cooler (it’s inevitable, believe me) and I did design this as an outdoor weight jacket, so I was able to wear it a couple of times last week and got surprising compliments (all good) from non-knitters, noticing that it looked good and it looked unique!!  See ‘blame it on the weather’ Jul 20, ’12, for a close up swatch and some other fun details! 
I want to give a shout out to Michael Hale of Toronto, who's design in KNITWORDS No 48 was my inspiration for this garment - his was a large rectangle poncho that he had made on his tricked out Ultimate Sweater Machine - he had 2 machines put together along with a 30 needle extension kit, so his poncho was 228 stitches by 220 rows - I had always wanted to make a smaller, more fitted version.

5 comments:

Linda Johnson said...

Beautiful job, and it looks great on you!

Mary Hay said...

Mary Anne, I wish I could have recorded all the wonderful comments about the workshop you did for our Germantown, WI club last month! You are an inspiration! I love the new sweater pattern that I will be getting in the magazine. Can't wait to try it out! Happy Thanksgiving in Canada. :-)
Mary in Wisconsin, USA, where we do celebrate Thanksgiving.

Peg Abendroth said...

Yes, I was at the same meeting as Mary Hay. At lunch we agreed it is great to see someone who wears her knits and looks as great as you. That is the best inspiration of all! Looks like my to-knit list just got longer!

365 Dresses said...

Great looking sweater, Mary Anne!

Lea-Ann said...

You and Lorna in the same magazine....a yarn store owners dream!