designed to inspire, excite, educate and entertain
Monday, January 23, 2017
i was in denial...
really look closely at the second front - I was on a roll, knitting pieces like
no one’s business, hand stitching the cuffs and bands, joining pieces and
admiring my progress! Right down to the end, collar and hood are on, all pieces
seamed, ends darned in and then, funny, it seemed that one front was longer
than the other. Maybe I was too enthusiastic when I pressed it? In my haste to
get this done and be able to order the zipper (yes, even though I do have 2
light blue options, I’m not completely happy with either even if the length is
right) - I made the chained edging for the shorter side and completely ignoring
the fact that the other front edge appears to be a good 5 cm/2 inches longer.
(On that last blogpost photo, I bodged the pieces and hid the longer front under the
cast-on edge of the hood – who was I kidding? like you knew?) I even attempted to hang that
side on the same needles, hoping to 'ease' in the excess but had to abort! It
just wasn’t going to work. So, still with the utmost confidence, I figured I'd
wash it and that would fix the obvious problem - I must have stretched it in my
original pressing when it came off the machine.
good to go!
Nope, that didn't work! Facing
the fact that I must have followed the Back instructions instead of the Front,
I now, very calmly with no swears, began picking out the seam between the
sleeve/shoulder, hoping against all odds that I could salvage this operation...OMG!
It worked. With the undoing of that single seam, I was able to unravel the left
front back down to the start of the underarm- I know how many stitches and what row I should be on - a piece of cake! Fake it till you make it!