Thursday, February 28, 2019

moving on...

Forget patterning altogether! I’m going to knit plain! Haven’t made a hoodie for myself yet this year! My inspiration? My newest ‘vogs! I’ve noticed some striped garments lately that remind me of a twinset I did for Lindsay way back in Knitwords #41, called Juxta-pose! Always liked the mix of narrow stripes and then wider stripes. This is new Cotton Tale 8 I’m using – the navy is part of that 6 pack of blues I got (and didn’t like) and the tan is actually called ‘vanilla’ – what’s that all about? I have only one cone of the navy so it will be my predominant colour, I think and with two cones of the tan, hopefully I’ll have enough leftover for a whole garment of that. Notice, I did make a swatch!
The sleeves are going to be the narrow stripe, 4 rows of each colour so I’m using the single bed yarn changer for that. You know how I like to shortrow the sleeve cap so need to use the ravel cord method here because holding position doesn’t work with the yarn changer arm on.
end of shortrowed sleeve cap
At the top, I wanted to end with navy, so stopped at row 3, brought the left side back to work, knit the partial row, brought the right side back to work and knit it.
pull out ravel cord one side at a time
Then did an RTR (remove, turn, rehang) and knit a full row. This way I have a nice navy border across the sleeve cap as well as that garter stitch ridge which will look nice for the outside seam, same as on the Manfriend/Girlfriend Hoodie. The stripes for the back and fronts are going to be much wider so they won’t match anyway but I think the navy border between will look good.

Tested out my edging (#33, XOXO Trim from Band Practise) - thought I could just add it to the bottom and I could but don't like the way the tan colour peeps through when you pick up the stitches with the right side facing - that is rehung from the cast-on waste yarn and the edging is knit down and cast off. On the second sleeve, I rehung the bottom of the first navy stripe and then unravelled the tan - easy to do for 4 rows but not much more!
 

2 comments:

Margit Tritt said...

Does Cotton Tale bias? Does it soften up after washing? Thanks!

Mary Anne Oger said...

You are obviously a new reader! why would I use CT8 if it biased? This is a new version of CT8 - they should have renamed it! At the top of this page, Search for 'Cotton Tale 8' and you'll find some of last year's posts, like this one https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2018/05/not-your-grandmas-cotttontale8.html