Tuesday, April 9, 2019

odds 'n ends...

Got the E Fisher Knock-off done, washed and dried and it fits! Funny thing, I made a new swatch after the fact! Ha! you say! What good is that? The first one with the old 580 carriage read 26 sts and 50 rows to 10 cm. With the 840 carriage (same stitch dial number, same overhead tension, same weights) it says 26 sts and 56 rows to 10 cm! Let it rest overnight and it was the same as the first one. The pieces looked big when I steamed them  (they always do before it gets a chance to relax), fresh off the machine, and it was a little big after the putting together because I couldn't wait. Washed and tossed in dryer for 15 minutes - it was perfect, no steaming necessary! Love the shape of it and the way sideways knitting and the one-row-tuck patterning controlled the colour distribution of this 'variegated' yarn.
The point of making the second swatch was to have a baseline for future use.
Now I have something brand new to take to Waynesboro, PA for this weekend!
This really was a super-quick project, virtually no finishing - I'll have to make another in a solid, light colour when I come back and explain a few more of the details. 
Before that project, while I was still pondering the fact the lace carriage still worked, I dashed off a couple of pockets for Uptown. Used my ‘patch pocket with chained edge method’, washed and dried them several times, just tossing them in with my vacation laundry loads, pressing them in-between to add some wear and patina. Pinned the pockets in place and tried it on. Because I couldn’t get the placement with matching the pattern, angled them slightly – works for me! Stitched them in place with the sewing machine.
Finished off the second Juxtapose Hoodie – switched back to the 580 carriage just in case – just needs a wash before sewing in the zipper.

5 comments:

Connie G. said...

The E Fisher Knock-off looks great! I'm sure you have a pattern for it, I'm going in search. I love it!

Mary Anne Oger said...

Hey Connie, no actual pattern yet - you have to talk me into doing it! :-)

Connie G. said...

That would make a very versatile pattern for both body shape/size and style, depending on the yarn used. It looks REALLY comfy! Please, pretty please, write up the pattern? ;-)

Teresa said...

I have some variegated wool crepe deluxe perfect for this. Please publish a pattern for the E. Fisher Knock-off.
Thank you for coming to Waynesboro and bringing so many pieces to show us. Seeing the meticulous finishing on your garments in person is a revelation.

Juliet said...

MAO, Your seminar in Waynesboro was fabulous! I’ve been machine knitting since ‘88 but always struggled with professional looking details. I learned so many tips and finishes and edges I’m quite sure you’ve helped me step it up a notch! Thanks for all your efforts in writing stellar patterns too. ~Juliet