Tuesday, May 11, 2021

smug...

that was me! Finished up Holey Moley last week and I thought, ‘oh, if I had somewhere special to wear this!’

We are in a stay-at-home lockdown, basically since Christmas, but the last month, really serious, where only essential stuff is open. I knew I wouldn’t get new buttons until this was over and I couldn’t wait. The best option I had was 8 ivory, plain 3/4 inch buttons that would work so I painted them to as close a match that I thought would do – I have some acrylic paints in my craft stash – a drop of mustard yellow and half a drop of golden brown gave me a shade slightly darker than my pale primula cotton.  Finished them off with a clear top coat of nail polish to protect the paint and I’m ready!


I’ll back up a bit. Everything done, ready for the wash – I had hand basted the other edges of the pockets in place, the centre front edge is incorporated in the button bands – thought it would be prudent to get everything pre-shrunk before the final sewing and  figured it might work better to have them stitched down, rather than free-floating in the wash. Worked nicely, pulled out the basting, pinned them again and machine-stitched in place, lining up the pattern properly. This is so nice! Love it!

washed (note ruler)
 with bad, unwashed sleeve

I had the appointment for my first vaccine and although it was a cloudy, sort of miserable day and I wanted to be comfortable, I figured I’d wear this with jeans and sneakers. Walked in, health card in hand and the lady said, ‘I just love your sweater! ! You look so springy!' I said, 'thank you'. Her, ‘Oh, it has a hood too! I need one of those, where did you get it?’ 

I had to admit I made it. She couldn’t see my smug smile…I was wearing my mask! Made my day!

No comments: