Wednesday, April 12, 2023

reminiscing....

 I had the strangest conversation last night with sister Janet – I have made quite a few garments for her over the past several years

https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2014/12/i-didnt-really-forget-to-tell-you.html

– I have a new one underway for her - it’s a pink cotton 2 ply, double stranded One-Row-Tuck long, button-front hoodie – more on that another day.

She was telling me that she was currently wearing a green, cotton-y cardigan with a cabl-y pattern, button-front vee neck with pockets, that I made, it is perfect for layering in the cool spring weather, and I was dumfounded, just couldn’t picture it. She emailed me a photo and I went Omigosh, that’s ancient history! It must have been from 1994/5 and, I didn’t tell her that I hadn’t really made it for her, she just got a hand-me-down.

The real story: I had to go searching. Fortunately, my friend Eloise, from TN, had made an MAO binder over the years, which she gave to me last month. In it, she had everything pre-Knitwords! Stuff I had long disremembered, everything I had ever had in print, from back in the day – right from my very first submission to The Carriage Trade, in 1990, all the way through to 1996 when it was Canada’s Fashion Magazine, all of my stuff in Machine Knit America, and even the few submissions to Machine Knitters Source which I had totally forgotten I ever did!


It didn’t take long for me to find Janet’s ‘new’ favourite cardigan. It first appeared in Canada’s Fashion Machine #56, but it was ivory? Now I recall! It was a cream colour, but when I got it back from the publisher I decided that I had no need for yet another light/non-coloured cardigan and I dyed it forest green – the next issue of the magazine had the dye-job story!

Gee, I still have some Suva…

No comments: