Tuesday, June 20, 2023

after the fact...

The past is the past! Onward and upward! I forgot to tell you to add an extra stitch at the left on the sleeve so the pattern repeats equally on each side – not a big deal but I find it easier to have the same needle arrangement on each side when increasing - use the single prong tool and move the edge stitch out one space, filling in the empty needle from the adjacent stitch. To keep the empty needle arrangement on the increase, beside the empty needle, move the end stitch out and don’t fill in, leave the space.

The second sleeve went perfectly.

To the Back! When choosing your size, check where the empty needles are hitting – you don’t want an empty needle one or two stitches in from the edge – if it’s close, leave that needle in work – it will be at the side seam and no one’s looking there! Also, look ahead to see where the empty needle is falling at the sleeve edge and the neckline – you don’t want it to be 1 stitch in – either make the neck width fit within the needle out of work – for example, when I charted out mine, the neck should have been 21-0-21, but #20 at the left and #19 on the right would have been out of work so the neck is shaped now between 19-0-18 ns.


You might recall I was going to ponder my front neckline as I was knitting the Back. On my chart, I put the row number of the original vee neck – I don’t like vee necks anymore-I want everything covered up to the neck! I also charted the vee to start 12cm down from the top of the shoulder and in consideration of making it a high round neck, with a depth of 8 cm. As I was knitting, I placed removeable yarn marks at these spots so I can hold it up to myself in front of the mirror and decide which to use.

Of course, the underarm shaping was done with the holding position method of shortrowing. And I have 3 full skeins left!

No comments: