Wednesday, June 14, 2023

the other MA...

I got an email from her a couple of weeks ago - she usually checks in, when she likes one of my blogposts or when she's worried as to why I haven't been posting - this time, asking if her group in Minneapolis could use one of my old patterns – she wrote: 

MMKC is planning to have a KAL starting in June and we would like to knit, with your permission, Knitwords issue #5 on page 16 "Kickin' Around". We are excited about the look of this sweater, the range of sizes and that the pattern is written clearly enough for all who might want to participate.

At first, I was thinking, OMG, that’s so old! It was 1998! But then it dawned on me, I’ve always thought of myself as the ‘classic’ designer and by definition, a classic is an outstanding example of a particular style, something of lasting worth or timeless in nature.  Oh man, it’s a real compliment! And, I remembered when I was in TN in March, Sharon was wearing her "Kickin' Around" - didn't ask her when she'd made it! 

I got another message from the other the other day saying they had ten excited participants and she would be updating me on their progress and promised to send photos!

I pulled out the pattern, got all excited myself and decided to give it a go too! I haven’t knit on the LK150 in quite sometime and can hardly wait to get back at it. Checking my stock – I don’t have a lot of hand knitting yarns to choose from – the original was made with Patons Rio, DK weight – it was 50% cotton, 50% acrylic, needs 5-6 100g balls – I found a bag of 7-100g balls of Kramer Yarns Tatamy Tweed, 45% cotton, 55% acrylic in cherry, with blue flecks in it! I’m even more excited! I used this yarn in a beige colourway for In the Tweeds, a mid gauge Serial Stuff pattern back in 2011. It was a sideways-knit A-line hoodie, I loved it then and still wear it! https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2011/01/stuff.html

https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2011/06/west-coast-swing.html  I vaguely recall someone gifting me these 7 balls which weren’t quite enough for that project, and ever hopeful, I saved them for this day, I think it will be perfect!

Read the pattern, checked my notes (yes, I still have them from 1998!), made my swatch – the gauge matches perfectly! I’m ready to go!

2 comments:

BillKnits said...

I love the red tweed and hope it turns out great for you!

raine51 said...

Looking forward to your progress.