Friday, April 3, 2020

pushing the envelope...

 My next choice is a one-colour (ivory, aka ‘fisherman’ – what? How did that become a colour name?) Two-Faced.
I don’t usually do much hand-transferring on the standard gauge – it shows up much better with a thicker yarn so usually save those kind of projects for the LK150/mid gauge but that hand-transferred vee motif was fun to do so I figured I’d make another tank and try a little more extensive motif.
I like the length, the side shaping and shortowing at the hemline. I’m going to close the neckline a little higher and narrower, put a band on it and bring the shoulders in a bit more, still with a band.
As I knit the bottom of the first side, I was recalling a hand knit pattern in Knit ’n Style that was actually a motif done on the back of a sleeveless summer top. Hoping that my extensive purging of knitting resources a few years back didn’t include that particular pattern and of course, I wasn’t sure which issue it was in, I thought it was called ‘Athena Tank’. Why did that stick in my mind? who knows but I did find it, in #173, June 2011. It was a hand knit pattern by Helene Rush and guess who wrote the machine knit instructions? ;)  That’s likely why it stuck in my brain. I photocopied the lace chart and hung it up on my tension mast. It’s 60 rows, but easily made bigger by adding 20 row increments and I figured I’d give it a shot.  
I changed it up a bit – the top of the first diamond had all reformed purl stitches. I think that’s a total waste of time and changed it to garter stitch ridges on every other row – less work and looks nicer in my eyes. As the motif continued, I knew it would look better if I could sort of end it at the neckline without worrying about continuing it out into the shoulder area so after the 60 rows, began bringing the double rows of holes back in toward the centre where the original ended and changed up the sides slightly. Got it off the machine and I’m totally stoked! It's beautiful!

1 comment:

Vera said...

Thank you. There are any number of youngsters in my family who would be pleased to have a top like this- so I'll attempt one. That said, stay safe, well and inspired. Vera