Monday, April 20, 2020

changing tack...

To get away from the hand-transferred stuff, I’m going to try other stitch techniques for the tank top – looking at my list of ‘youngsters’ who might like one, I have some knitting to do!
I like that ‘skin’ print that I did the jacket in (was that only last month?) - going to try it out for my niece, Wendy, who loves animal print even more than I do. Knitting in fairisle takes a different amount of yarn. Still trying to use up my leftovers of WCD, I have 250g sand dune (tan) (plus several swatches that could be undone) and 100g of a pretty rusty brown, leftover from Wild Side https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2009/07/same-but-different.html
I dug out Boondoggle https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2013/08/perfect-pockets.html (fairisle, weights 420g) and my remake of Frill Ride minus the frills (stockinette, weight 430g) https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2010/01/happy-new-decade.html
They are about the same size, same sleeve length but what does that tell me? Nothing that makes me feel better about how far the yarn will go!
Light bulb moment! I could do the first piece and weight it before knowing if I could proceed with a second skin print or make the other side solid – you see that all the time in ready-made stuff! Wendy is much smaller than me, so, less yarn and overall a good thing as I tend to covet things and if it were my size, she might not get! ;)
By the time I did the hem, I’d convinced myself that trying to get 2 pieces of fairisle out of 100g of the rust was just plain dumb. Another option would be a better choice and now, armed with a full, brand-new cone of lovely carob, a deep, dark chocolate WCD, going for it!

No comments: