Wednesday, April 22, 2020

the truth about bands...

I did something the other day that I didn’t tell you about and now I’m ashamed! That I didn’t tell you, I mean. That red vee neck, I’m sorry - not much info there and I want to make it better. After I finished the red one, it looked so nice, I decided to put bands on the first (tan/brown) one. And I meant to make good notes, especially for the vee side. But all my good intentions left! It all worked out but there were things I should have said. Next one, I promise!
fresh off machine
after the tool, before steaming
One of the big things about bands is something I do on autopilot and forget to mention. The bands or hems (anywhere when it’s doubled over), when it comes off the machine, looks rather dreadful, especially in finer yarns like WCD. The stitches are stretched sideways when on the machine and you need to help them get back into shape. For necklines and armholes, use the DETT (double eye transfer tool) because it’s good and strong and you won’t be able to bend it. Thread it through the band along the fold, a little bit at a time and stretch it against the straight edge of the tool with your other hand to set the band depth and fix the stitches.
pressed and perfect!

Here’s a photo of the band on the scoop neck, fresh off the machine. Looks awful and it’s sticking up every which way. Do the tool thing and it looks better. Lay it on the ironing board, flatten everything out with your fingers and get everything laying right. Steam it and it’s beautiful!

Here’s a photo of the hemline of the skin print one. Because this is a wider, longer piece, no curves, thread a blocking rod through the hem and pin it onto the ironing board, paying attention to pin it to the correct width. Steam it (hold the iron just above, not touching and activate the steam), while pulling on the rest of the piece to lengthen/stretch the hem into shape. This hem has no fold line, so this is a necessary step to making sure it ends up sitting properly.
I did not add shortrows at the hemline of this as I did in the first three because this girl is a tiny little peanut, like an XS (and double A if you get what I mean) in ready-made. If I were making this for me, I would have added 8 to 10 shortrows like I did for my stockinette ones.

No comments: