Monday, November 21, 2022

socking news...

Getting back into the knit of things, I’m sock knitting – I thought I had said everything I could possibly say about making socks – on my double bed Japanese knitting machine (for the newbies out there)  but, turns out, I learned something new! I can’t possibly recap everything here, but if you type ‘socks’ into the search bar at the top of this page, it will bring up at least 20 posts of my extolling, sometimes passionately, on the subject of my circular socks and give you a couple of links to my freebie sock patterns – there’s even one or two done on the LK150 mid gauge, not circular, of course, but pretty nice.

https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2012/12/sock-it-to-me.html

Anyway, back to the present, I have been purchasing the 100g skeins of sock yarn, usually buying 2 of each colourway, especially if they are on sale and for sure, if it’s one of those with a multi-colour stripe repeat. I think I told you before that I don’t really care if the stripes match perfectly – hate to waste the part you need to pull off to get to the same place as you started the first sock with. But here I am, making a pair for a special new friend and I want them to be perfect. Got the first one done and started pulling off the yarn to find the royal stripe I started with, and pulled and pulled and I began hyperventilating about wasting so much and these are bigger, (deep breaths) like size 9.5 wide and I was worrying about not having enough and it dawned on me, I could just thread up the second cone and knit the second one from there and it would match! What do you know? Perfect, and the second pair, one off the first cone and the next one off the second - that pair matches perfectly too, no waste!


 

 

 


No comments: