Friday, February 21, 2020

brainwaves...

You know how you get that bunch of ‘news feed’ highlights from Google or whoever? If there’s a fashion thing or a food thing I am usually tempted to click on it. The other day there was a spring fashion forecast for sweater jackets, and you know I clicked! There it was, my dream sweater! Why you ask? Hello? Mostly because it was a leopard print! But the article went on to say how the cardigan, sweater jacket or knit jacket (my life is flashing before my eyes!), ties in with the current menswear-inspired trend - like, is that ever not a trend? That particular blazer sweater/cardigan connected through to Nordstrom with a price tag of $150.  
That isn’t happening, but suddenly, I’m all-fired up! I could make that! Not that it would be exact, but I start by analyzing the situation.
The fabric is a 3-colour jacquard if it’s actually a knit fabric (the close-up does show it, the yarn is quite fine and likely done on one of those fancy industrial machines and involves cut and sew, not my favourite technique) which I’m not going to do but how about a 2-colour fairisle print with the third colour for bands or edges? I have a skin print 24-stitch punchcard pattern that I designed back a zillion years ago and never made anything with. I’ll dig that out and experiment a bit, making sure it’s a short-float repeat. I am using DAK for this.
The notched lapel is making it seem more complicated that it needs to be with facings and all that…I really love the shape and fit of my brown lace jacket, Pocket Change from Feb/March 2018, especially the collar and yoke idea. https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2018/03/do-i-take-chance.html
And I do like my camo jean jacket - yoke, collar, etc. too! I got a really short haircut again and the collar idea works better for me in that situation!
How about a solid, stockinette yoke, print collar edged with the contrast/yoke colour with print body, hip length? And some sort of pocket of course! This could be my ‘Pigeon Forge’ new garment – so excited! It’s just a month away! Hope to see you there and show off!

BTW, did you catch those knee socks Karlie was wearing on the tuxedo revival challenge on Project Runway? Solid grey colour but one only had a couple of narrow stripes on the calf, like on a varsity jacket sleeve…I can see that in my future! But gosh, I’ll need to order more sock yarn – I have no solid colours! It’s a vicious circle this knitting business!

1 comment:

Tom Machine Knitting Guy said...

Like the idea and sketch, I've yet to find a KM leopard print I like. Be great to see what you did a zillion years ago!