Saturday, February 29, 2020

what would MAO do?

The back is next, and I need to decide what’s what for the hem. Luckily, I have a closet full of my past life. Even though fairisle has not been a big portion of my repertoire, I can pull out several examples of just what I’m looking for. Wouldn't you know, all short-float, two-colour fairisle jackets! You have to take my word for it or look them up in the back issues of Knitwords!  
Tailor-made
From left to right: Paisley Print (green/black, had matching fairisle skirt #42), Herringbone (red/black, #52), and Print It (gold/black, #46). And, way back in #30, there was Tailor-made in #30, an all-over fairisle for the look of a print fabric with solid contrast lapel and collar, all knit to shape, along with an article on planning and knitting your fairisle so the edge stitches were knit in a solid colour that could show on the outside edges, with details for punchcard, electronic, Silver and/or Brother, and/or Designaknit! wow! She went all out on that one!
Anyway, the gist of it - I chose the hem from Paisley Print  (it’s a no-band look from the outside – didn’t want a solid stripe across the hipline!) which is basically an every-other-needle for the back side of a hung hem, a row across of chainstitch which fills in the empty needles, eliminates the picot-look and makes a straight line of the turn/fold of the hem. It’s really the same hem technique that I used on Manfriend’s pullover on the LK150  back in December – on that, it was reversed to show the purl side which sort of looked ribbed…#9 from Band Practise; Hem with Chain Stitch, pg 98, The Handbook for Manual Machine Knitters (both by Mary Anne Oger, aka MAO).

Anyway, my hem works great, got the Back knit and AFTER taking it off the machine I saw that just around the point of the underarm shortrows, somehow DAK decided to switch the colours…what the??? Does it have something to do with leap year?? Arr-rr-r-rg-g-g-h-hh!!

I’m going to spiralize some zucchinis!

No comments: