Wednesday, March 25, 2020

spats or gaiters...


jenjoycedesigns@snowmeltgaiter
 
It’s finally nice enough to get out and do a bit of walking – although the wind is still chilly, the warmth of the sun makes it nice. The snow is slow melting this year  but I found a circular track at one of the local golf courses that’s perfect for winter walking, weather cooperating. It’s a two-km loop and three times around in one hour gets your heartrate up there nicely and fills the bill for daily exercise for people of my age bracket. Today I switched from my ankle hiking boots with ankle length skinny jeans to walking shoes but there is so much grit, sand and debris on the road  from when they sand for the ice situations that I got tiny pebbles in my shoes, not a good thing as my feet are quite susceptible to the least irritation and blisters can quickly come up out of nowhere! Half way round the first time this morning, I remembered seeing a hiker in Ireland wearing things that I would call gaiters –  they were a lightweight canvas-type material, waterproof, with an adjustable elastic at the top which she wore over her pantleg, extending down, flaring out over her boot. She said they kept the debris out of her boots. I spent the remaining walking time designing some knitted shoe toppers. I could just knit my regular sock, with a bit longer cuff, go into circular, do half a heel and cast off – this would give me the flare to cover the ankle part of my shoe where the tiny stones were getting in.
Or, I could just switch to flare jeans that are a bit longer…

No comments: