Monday, March 16, 2020

retro patterns...

I want to make a tank top or shell – what do we call them anymore? If you google ‘tank top’ it seems to be a man’s sleeveless shirt. What is a shell? Is there a new term for it, just a plain, thin, sleeveless top to wear under a jacket or cardigan? I know a cami is more minimal, with narrow little straps.
Anyway, I want a shell to go under The Skinny. Gone are the days of the deep vee or wide scoop neckline for me, I like to be totally covered up so I’m looking at a crew or jewel neckline or possibly a very shallow vee. It comes to mind that in the past I’ve made tops like this with a vee on one ‘front’ and maybe a scoop on the other front and because it's knit, therefore stretchy and no bust darts, it can be worn either way
depending on how one feels that day – or, how about you spill something and get a stain – just take your arms out, rotate it and no biggie! ;)
Looking through some old issues of Knitwords, I found this one, Seeing Red, (Knitwords #13 – OMG! from Summer 2000! Who is that girl?) where I made one front in white with a wide scoop neck, trimmed the neck and sleeves with a narrow stockinette hem in red and then the other front, in red, had a vee neck and showed all red if that was the side chosen for the front that day.
I’m looking at a new version of that application – I have leftovers of tobacco brown and sand dune Wool Crepe Deluxe, same colours as in The Skinny so I’m thinking crew neck in the tan and a high vee using tobacco and, pushing the envelope, I’m going to see if the vee ‘front’ can be completed with that shortrowing decrease hack that I came up with a while back for the slanted slope on pockets…
https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2018/02/decreasing-hack.html
I have used it on several pocket applications and it seems to lay nice and flat, especially in WCD with no extra finishing needed. Perfect for a thin, no-bulk T-shirt without sleeves…

  

No comments: