Thursday, December 7, 2023

mystery solved…

On the first swatch, at the bottom, I did a plain lace transfer where you simply take the stitch from the needle where you want the hole and move it left or right. Because I was trying for a machine knit transfer, I did it on every other row, like a lace carriage would do

Normally, when I’m doing a hand transferred design on any knitting machine, I try to plan it so there are two plain rows between transfers - easier to remember (when carriage is at the right, time to transfer) and if you only have to stop every second row, it’s faster and that’s what machine knitting is all about, right? 


I based it on a 10 stitch repeat, like ‘Outlined diamonds’ page 60 from my book, The Handbook for Manual Machine Knitters, but instead of the two-step transfer that makes the outline, just picked up the hole stitch and moved it the one space, doing each side of the diamond on every other row so I had a transfer on every row. 

 I knew this wasn’t what was on the blue NP sweater from yesterday, but I needed a reference point. On about the last row, it dawned on me - hah, the actual pattern in that garment was transferring the stitch the wrong way, or what happens when you start a lace carriage pattern with the lace carriage on the wrong side! See top swatch!

Now, what to do? Is this enough to spur me on? I have sock knitting going on on the standard gauge, I have Christmas baking to do, I have company coming to stay over Christmas…




No comments: