Wednesday, December 13, 2023

undaunted…

Hey Cindy, I’m glad you asked, I was going to tell you anyway, but it’s good to know you’re on board!


Back to that stitch pattern I mentioned earlier, ‘Outlined Diamonds, horizontal’, page 60 from The Handbook for Manual Machine Knitters - HMMK -  to make that an all-over pattern, you need to delete the last two rows and the 20-row repeat gives you the all-over repeat


Something I never mentioned, the top half of the inside of the diamond on the NP’s sweater was reverse stockinette which, on a flat bed knitting machine is a nightmare! https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2020/04/pushing-envelope.html

It means you are reforming every stitch! I changed it to garter stitch ridges so only reform on every other row - much easier and quicker! And I felt it was only needed at the top of the pieces. Sometimes less is better.


The ribbing, go to HMMK, page 95 and read the section on ‘Machine Ribbed Bands’. I chose ‘K2,P1 with rib wise cast off’. The ribbed bands are added to the bottom and knit down. The first cuff, I did on the LK and relatched 50 rows…it can be done if you need to. Key word, need! The second one, I hung on the standard gauge, set it up for K2, P1, and at T10/T10, no tension on the yarn (like you’re hand-feeding the yarn for looser stitches) got the job done! I’m not even going to tell you about that starter-sleeve that, only as I was shortrowing the cap did I notice there were 15 more stitches at the left side!!!

1 comment:

Cindy H said...

Thank you for the detail! It’s great.