Friday, January 19, 2024

guesstimating…

 Part 3

Was so happy that the dish cloth worked out, made a couple without turning off the machine, afraid to lose my ‘spot’ on the needle bed. While doing that and all the other things running through my brain, I decided to use red Bonita (100% mercerized cotton - NLA of course) - I have two full, untouched cones of 500g each and a part cone of 210g which I hoped would be enough for d-i-l, Agnieszka’s, range cover. She’s such a sweetie, she deserves to have red! 
Had a small, partial cone of Bonita in tan and quickly made a 4X3 repeat dish cloth (36-0-42 ns, 132 rows, 38g) to use as a swatch. From that, determined the size required for the range cover,  (10 wide X 7 high plus 10 checkerboard rows for top border - 90-0-96 ns, 290 rows). I could try to sound pretty smart here and tell you I figured this out mathematically but really what I did was place the dishcloth in the corner of the range top and guesstimated it would need 2.5X wide by 2.5X high…it worked, but had to go into a new full cone by a few grams to get ‘er done! Final weight, 230g!

While doing those things, and inspired by the fact I got DAK8 on the new computer, decided to try something. Fired up the old laptop and on the second try managed to pull my stitch pattern files off on a flash drive! Ha! I got Janet’s dishcloth files back along with my saved ovencover file (and tons of real stuff!)! Also, in my rummaging, found this old 4 part usb thingy so now I could hook everything up!

Sent a request for new lock number - had to wait for Monday, but got it! 

Tried out the SL4 - it worked!

Loaded my oven cover file without worrying about where it was centred!

Knit another green one for me, a backup is always good!

Only lost the signal three times…


2 comments:

Rita in Raleigh said...

Thank you. I love guestimating!! And I am trying to use up some of my stash, but I keep buying more yarn.

Janet D. said...

Yeah! You did it. You outsmarted your computer! It's so hard to lose your knitting files. I love your latest sweater. It's so fun to see what you'll come up with next. You're such an inspiration! Your blog has really helped me a lot! Thanks! Keep knitting. :) Janet D.