Wednesday, January 24, 2024

mystery yarn…

I mean yarn that I am unfamiliar with! ‘Found’ this large cone (750g) of denimy shades of cotton on my shelf - the label says ‘Astro Dye Works, 6/2 K/P cotton’ (also has a ‘BTYarns’ label), so yeah, it’s pretty old. I think I inherited it a couple of years ago when a m/k friend sent me a big box of her stash that she knew she would never use. I’m sure I paid it no attention at the time because there was several cones of wool crepe deluxe that I was swooning over. 

I’m looking for some inspiration for a new project and thought this might fit the bill - I love that Tennessee Tunic  https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2023/03/tennessee-re-visited.html

from last year and think I’d like a more ‘everyday’ version of it - I have no idea what the 6/2 means- I know it’s something relating to the yards per pound but that 6/2 doesn’t tell me what stitch size to use or what gauge to expect. It’s a bit thicker than Yeomans Brittany (3/14) or Bramwell Montana but not quite what those would be double stranded which I would use at T7 or so.

 https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2021/05/brittany-is-very-fine-314-2-ply-cotton.html


Didn’t want to double strand it, that would make it thicker than I would like for that tunic and it would change the little ‘camo’ shading that is happening. 

Here’s what I do: cast on 21-0-21 ns, and knit about 10 rows at T5 to get the feel of it; seems kind of tight, so go up/bigger stitch size. Then using 2 rows of T10 to separate,  knit 20 rows at T6, T7, T8 and T9 - it’s looking rather airy by now so end it. Because this is cotton, some shrinkage is expected and since it is such a large cone, I’ll wash and dry this piece before I decide on what stitch size to use for the real swatch using one of those 1RTs that I like.

P.S. Showing the purl side of the swatch because the higher stitch size dividing rows show up better in the photo.


2 comments:

Linda said...

I can't wait to see your finished top. I have a lot of 6/2 cotton. It's wonderful to weave with on my rigid heddle loom and makes beautiful, absorbent kitchen towels. Funny I never thought to MK a summer pullover with it. Looking forward to seeing your creation. I hope you use one of your mid-gauge machines.

lyounger said...

Very pretty! Can't wait to watch the process and see the result!