Friday, January 12, 2024

how far…

does one go to prove a point? Even if just to oneself? 

Part 2. I penciled in that stitch pattern, thinking how easy it would be with DesignaKnit, to be able  see it on-screen and check the repeat visually, before having to actually test-knit it to see if it works. Determined to not admit defeat kept me invested. As I concentrated on making the dots in those small, little squares, I vaguely recalled having a conversation with my friend Dee who said she had her DAK8 on windows 11. I didn’t really take that to heart at the time because she has a brother machine and all the cables are different and it’s the Silver SL4 that had been causing my grief in the past. She said you could use DAK by leaving the cd in the disc drive. Now, I’m thinking, do I even have a cd of DAK8? A little rummaging and I found it. Gosh, new computer, do I have a disc drive? Yeah! Unopened box! Figured it out, pretty easy, really. I sent an email to my buddy Mike.  https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2019/09/its-raining.html


He said yes, DAK8 can be used with windows 11 and check Softbyte’s website for any updates. Did that and downloaded an update because my copy was pretty old, like pre-2011. It seemed to work, but then, I got an application error message tab that said 'memory could not be read. Click ok to terminate the program. Did that, yes, everything closed. Tried again, got the same message but the DesignaKnit logo/program opener was behind it. Instead of ‘ok’, I just moved it aside, clicked on stitch pattern and it finally opened!!

Need to back up a bit here and tell/remind you about my ‘new’ knitting machine - here’s the full story https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2019/04/new-to-me-machine.html

Short version, I have an SK840 knit carriage on the SK580 machine because the 580 has the built-in electronics that still work for the needle bed - I could use it without DAK and knit-from-screen - for patterning which I’ve always found so much easier. Only problem, my 840 carriage does not recognize the N1 cam so positioning the pattern is either totally random or requires you to figure out where the pattern is happening - I probably knew this back in the day, like at the edge of the first point cam but - air knitting is my new fav! https://knitwords.blogspot.com/2023/04/air-knittibg.html


In the meanwhile, between waiting for emails and searching for random stuff,  I did get a couple of dishcloths made! My stitch pattern worked!



No comments: